Twelve days from today will be my nineteenth birthday, I remember how excited I was to turn eighteen only to then realise how much more responsibility you’re given. I definitely was not prepared, it doesn’t even feel a year since I became legal to do all the stuff I already did before. The only change was that I could go into a bar and order my own drink.
I always see birthdays as a chance to improve yourself, you’re a year older so it’s only right to make positive changes in your life and grow as a person. I want to approach life differently when I turn nineteen, not just life but people aswell.
The positive changes I want to make are:
- I’ve already started doing this but I want to make sure I eat healthier and become fitter, allowing my body to not be under pressure by eating constantly. So far it has been an incredible change, it’s really helped my mental health and I’m much more awake.
- I want to start volunteering, I’ve already set up a meeting with my local volunteer service and hopefully they’ll be able to find me something that I can invest my spare time in. It’ll be a brilliant way for me to be more involved in the community and meet new people.
- I’ve recently started researching into becoming a donor, I came across DKMS which is a non-profit organisation that help to find donors for people with blood cancer (https://www.dkms.org.uk/en). I made the decision that I wanted to become a stem cell donor, I requested my swab kit which they will then use to see who I’m a positive match with. I will continue to update you on what happens next, I’m hoping I can truly make a difference in a persons life.
- Making sure I stay career focused, I’m working hard to find an apprenticeship that I want to do long term. I’ve already applied for many but it’s about not giving up finding one just because someone doesn’t want me.
- Now that I’ve got a job I’ll be able to save money, saving is so important to me because I want to move out whenever I’m financially able to. I also need to hurry up and get my drivers license so my money will be purely spent on lessons, which should then allow me to broaden my horizons with jobs
bring on the big 19 !!!